03 August 2007

Part three: Darmstadt

Normally, the most interesting part of a German town is the center, so that is where we headed first. Unfortunately, most of downtown Darmstadt is a big shopping complex, but there are still some historical buildings there. Many were damaged during WWII, but most have been renovated or rebuilt, depending on the level of damage.

I wish we had known about this site before we went. Instead of just wandering aimlessly around, we would have had some idea of how to get where we wanted to go. Oh well.

I didn’t actually recognize anything from when we lived there when I was a kid. We lived in a neighborhood out on the edge of town, and even that didn’t look like I remembered it. My mom said that they used to take my sister into town with them while I was at kindergarten, so maybe I didn’t even see that much of Darmstadt proper when I was young.

Anyhoo, on our recent tour, we saw the Residenzschloss:

Residenzschloss

And the Rathaus:

Altes Rathaus

And the Hessisches Landesmuseum:

Hessisches Landesmuseum

So we had our fair share of nice buildings to admire. And there was ice cream, so we could keep Hannah in line with a timely bribe.

Delish!

Unfortunately, we missed the famous Hundertwasser building, the Waldspirale, and the Mathildenhöhe, because they weren’t right in the city center. If we have to drive anywhere, we have a fight, so it is better to park and go on foot.

Then we were off to Burg Frankenstein and the Felsenmeer (see below). See links to the right for the full photo set.

No comments: